Triple Chocolate PieTags: cakes and cookies
At a glance
- Preparation time
- 30 min
- Cooking time
- 40 min
- Cooling/resting time
- 60 min
Nutritional informationper 100g
chocolate chips, semi sweet
- In the bowl of a large food processor, break up the honeygrams. Melt 2 Tbs. of the butter and add it to the honeygrams along with 1 Tbs of the cocoa powder. Pulse the mixture in the food processor until the honeygrams become crumbs and the butter and cocoa powder are mixed in uniformly.
- Transfer the crumbs to a lightly greased deep dish pie dish. Using your fingers, gently press the mixture along the bottom and sides of the dish to form an even crust. Put in the refrigerator to chill while preparing your other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set up a double-boiler on the stove and get a pan of water gently simmering over medium-low heat. While the water is coming to temperature, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sugar and the egg yolks to make a thick paste. Set aside for a moment.
- Once the water is ready, place a glass bowl with the chocolate chips and the remaining butter, chopped into small chunks, on top. Stirring constantly, melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Whisking constantly, blend a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the eggyolk/sugar mixture. You want to do this slowly so that you don't accidently cook the egg yolk with the hot chocolate. Continue this process until all the chocolate has been mixed into the egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until evenly blended. The egg white will deflate a bit so just try to mix gently until the mixture is homogenous.
- Remove your crust from the refrigerator and pour the batter into the pan. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. 9. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Right before serving, beat your heavy whipping cream, the remaining sugar and cocoa powder until stiff peaks form. Spread the whip cream evenly atop the pie and serve.