Southwestern Breakfast Strata
This quick and easy Southwestern Breakfast Strata is a great way to start your day!
|7 slices||Artisan Baker White Bread|
|1||jalapeno, de-seeded and finely diced|
|1/2 cup||red bell pepper|
|1/2 cup||mushroom caps, finely chopped|
|1/3 cup||red onion, finely chopped|
|6 oz||cooked turkey breakfast sausage, roughly chopped|
|1 + 1/3 cups||cheddar, shredded|
|1/4 cup||green onions, finely chopped|
|1 + 1/2 cups||egg whites|
|6-8 drops||hot sauce (Crystal or Tabasco)|
|a little bit of||sea salt|
|a little bit of||black pepper|
|butter to grease|
- Grease an 8” x 10” casserole dish well with either vegetable cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the cubed bread chunks evenly in the bottom of the prepared dish.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the jalapeno, finely chopped red bell pepper, mushrooms, red onion and breakfast sausage chunks and still gently to mix well.
- Add all of this mixture on top of the bread cubes in the dish and make sure all is evenly distributed.
- In a blender combine the liquid egg whites, the whole eggs, milk, hot sauce and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Blend on high for a minute or so until all is well mixed, frothy and fluffy.
- Pour this egg mixture over the cubed bread and veggies in the dish being sure to cover all as evenly as possible. Take a spatula and pat the bread down a bit to ensure each bread cube is saturated with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese all over the top and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and all the egg mixture and center are cooked through.
- After the baking time remove from oven and let cool a few minutes. Scatter the green onions all over the top, slice into 12’ths and serve. This Strata can be enjoyed either warm or cold.