Crispy Baked Fried Chicken
Did you say…..gluten free…FRIED CHICKEN?!? Why yes, we did! Here at Schär we are all about giving our gluten free customers exactly the foods they crave and still are wanting. That’s why we do what we do!
|4 slices||Artisan Baker White Bread|
|10 dashes||hot sauce (Crystal or Tabasco)|
|1 tbsp||garlic powder|
|1 tbsp||Cajun seasoning|
|to taste||cayenne pepper|
|a little bit of||oil|
- In a large bowl combine the buttermilk and hot sauce, stir or whisk together till all is well combined. Add the chicken pieces (bone in and skin on: thighs, wings, breasts or whatever you like) into the bowl and stir well to ensure all the chicken pieces are covered in the marinade. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- While the chicken is marinating tear roughly the Artisan Baker Bread and break up Crispbread.
- Place the bread slices and the crisp bread pieces into a food processor bowl and blitz until fine crumbs are formed. You will probably need to do this in batches depending on the size of your food processor.
- Pour the crumbs, garlic powder, salt, spices (we used Cajun seasoning) and cayenne pepper into a large bowl or shallow baking dish/Pyrex/casserole dish. Stir with a fork to incorporate well.
- When the chicken is done marinating remove it from the fridge and uncover.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously spray with vegetable cooking spray a sheet pan or baking dish with vegetable spray and set aside. This will help ease the chicken off for serving later.
- Remove a piece of the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and let the excess drain off slightly before laying it into the dry mixture to dredge. With clean hands mold the crumbs onto the chicken pieces, firmly mounding it on each piece. Lay the breaded chicken piece onto the prepared sheet pan or baking dish. Repeat these steps until all the chicken pieces are breaded.
- Lightly spray the tops of the chicken pieces with a bit more cooking spray, this will help with the crispiness. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes depending on thickness and piece of chicken, until all pieces are cooked through and when inserted with a digital meat thermometer it reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let cool a few minutes on the pan or in the dish before serving. Use a strong spatula to remove the pieces of chicken.