Ginger-Spiced Bread House
An easy, gluten free version of a holiday favorite activity, this Ginger-Spiced Bread House is the perfect thing to make for a party or with your kids.
|6 slices||Wholesome Seeded Loaf|
|2 tbsp||brown sugar|
|1 1/2 tbsp||sugar|
|1 1/2 tsp||cinnamon|
|1 tsp||ginger, ground|
|1/8 tsp||nutmeg, ground|
|1/4 tsp||cloves, ground|
|1 large||plate or platter|
|3 cups||icing sugar|
|1 packet||powder gelatin|
|1/4 cup||cold water|
|1/2 cup||hot water|
|candy / decor of your choice|
For the house sides: Download the template here
- Cut template out of paper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 175°C and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Mix brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove on a plate and set aside.
- Pick the middle six slices of your loaf and de-crust them.
- Roll each de-crusted slice flat, flipping to achieve flattened slice.
- Place template on slices before cutting to assure the largest slices have the largest template pieces. Cut pieces out.
- Lightly brush olive oil on both sides of each cut piece, pressing the newly brushed sides into the sugar/spice mixture, and lay on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Pull out of oven and flip each piece. Bake for another 8 minutes.
- Pull out house pieces and let cool completely, around 15 minutes. Use the template for reference to build house.
For construction and decoration:
- Put gelatin packet in a small bowl with hot water. Stir till dissolved. Add cold water and stir.
- Measure powdered sugar in a large bowl. Add 3 tbsp of the water/gelatin mixture and beat on low.
- Add more of the water/gelatin mixture till you have a very stiff icing.
- After you stop beating, peaks should maintain their rough stiffness for at least 5 seconds.
- Put mixture in a piping bag with a big tip and a piping bag with a small tip.
- Construct your house and wait fifteen minutes before decorating to be sure the structure is sound.
- Decorate your house with candies or decor of your choice.