The most enticingly moist yummy carrot cake you will ever come across, no one will believe it is gluten free.
|For the dough:|
|100 g||peeled and cored weight cooking apples, sliced|
|250 g||carrots, grated|
|4 tbsp||orange juice (save zest for icing)|
|200 g||brown sugar|
|200 g||Muscovado sugar|
|300 g||Mix it! Universal|
|2 tsp||baking powder|
|1 tsp||baking soda|
|2 tsp||mixed spice|
|50 g||pecans, roughly chopped|
|50 g||walnuts, coarsely chopped|
|175 ml||sunflower oil|
|For the glaze / icing:|
|115 g||full fat cream cheese|
|300 g||icing sugar|
|For the decoration:|
|pecan or walnut halves|
- Place slicedapple, carrot raisins and orange juice in a large dish.
- Cover and microwave for 4 minutes to soften the apple and carrot. Mash lightly with a fork and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, beat together the oil and eggs.
- Add to the dry ingredients along with the cooled carrot mixture.
- Beat together with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into the prepared tin (we recommend a round, 20cm wide tin). Bake until golden and just firm to the touch approximately 1¼ - 1 ½ hrs or until cake is firm to the touch.
- Once removed from oven cool in tin until cake is cold.
- Beat icing ingredients together and spread onto the cake top and sides or cut in half and spread in the middle and on top.
- Decorate with walnut halves, crushed nuts and baby sugar carrots if using and serve.