Italian Style Flatbread
This is a must to be served alongside pasta dishes or on it’s own as a starter with olive oil and balsamic. The combination of the onions, peppers and oregano in the bread compliment many dishes.
|375 g||Mix it! Universal|
|1 1/2 tsp||dried yeast|
|1 tbsp||skimmed milk powder|
|1 tbsp (mild)||olive oil|
|350 ml||lukewarm water|
|For the filling:|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|1 medium||red onion|
|1/2||red bell pepper|
|yellow bell pepper|
|green bell pepper|
|8||green olives, chopped or sliced|
|4 stalks||oregano leaves|
- Lightly fry the peeled and sliced red onion and peppers in a frying pan to soften.
- Combine the flour, yeast, salt and skimmed milk powder together in a bowl.
- Add the oil and tepid water (1/3 boiling, 2/3rds cold) and stir to make a smooth, stiff batter.
- Place half the bread batter into the tin and layer on the red onion and peppers and sprinkle over half the oregano.
- Spoon over the remaining bread batter and top with the remaining filling ingredients. Cover with oiled cling film.
- Leave to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes or until mixture has risen by half.
- Remove film, drizzle with a little more olive oil and bake in a preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Serve warm in wedges. Once cool store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days.
- Warm before eating for best results.
Use 1 small roasting tin or a square 20cm tin, greased, baking parchment can be used if desired