What to Know When Shopping for Gluten Free Food Online
Many people think of online shopping as something reserved for clothes and household necessities but online groceries have grown extremely popular and many offer a wide selection of gluten free food products.
In this article, we’ll explore the subject of shopping for gluten free foods online. You’ll receive some simple tips for making sure the products you buy are gluten free as well as a list of gluten free brands with online stores and online retailers that offer gluten free products.
What to Look for When Shopping
When you shop in a brick-and-mortar store you have the luxury of actually seeing products before you purchase them. You can actually read the food label to obtain important information about allergens, nutrition facts, and ingredients. When you shop online, you don’t always have that luxury.
If you follow a gluten free diet, you’re already used to paying extra attention to the food products you purchase. When you do your shopping online, however, the information you need may not always be right at your fingertips. Depending where you shop, you may be able to view photos of the product to see all of the information on the package. If not, the information may be printed on the product’s description page. Click around a little to see what you can find.
As you start shopping online for gluten free foods, there are a few key things you want to pay attention to in order to make sure the food you buy is safe:
- Look for the words “gluten free” in the product name and description or on the label itself, if that information is provided.
- Double-check the ingredients list as well as the allergen statement to make sure it doesn’t use any gluten-containing ingredients.
- Check for a gluten free certification on the product page or the label from one of the following: The Gluten Free Certification Organization (GFCO), The Gluten Free Certification Program (GFCP), or The Celiac Support Association.
If you’re shopping with a major online retailer or a gluten free brand, all of this information should be readily available on the product page. For homemade goods, unprocessed foods, and foods produced outside the USA, things may be different so use your label-reading skills to find the information you need to determine whether a product is safe for you.
The Best Places to Buy Gluten Free Food Online
Because the gluten free diet has become exceedingly popular over the last decade or so, more grocery stores and big box stores have started carrying gluten free products. If you’re lucky, your local grocery store may even have a dedicated gluten free section. But what about online shopping? The same gluten free brands you find in stores are also easy to find online.
Visit the all new Schär Gluten Free Shop to get your hands on your favorite gluten free. One of the first manufacturers of gluten free convenience foods, Schär offers a fully-stocked online store where you can find everything from snacks and sweets to staples like sliced bread and pasta.
If your grocery list includes more than just gluten free foods, your needs may better be served by shopping with a major online grocery. These stores offer everything you’d find in a grocery store without having to leave home (unless you choose in-store pickup). Many online groceries have even started to offer home delivery, often the same day or even within a 2-hour timeframe. You no longer have to spend half a day jumping from store to store just to find the gluten free food products you need to feed yourself and your family.
Though many online retailers offer a few gluten free products, some make it easy to find exactly what you’re looking for. Here are some of the best places to buy gluten free food online:
- Thrive Market – This online marketplace only sells the best of the best when it comes to healthy food products. Everything they sell meets the highest standards for safety and quality in the industry and, if there is an organic version of a product, that’s what they carry. Filter by over 70 dietary and lifestyle values to find exactly what you need.
- The Gluten Free Shoppe – Choose from over 900 gluten free food products as well as over 150 kosher food products. This site allows you to shop by brand or by category, making it easy to find exactly what you need. Many of their products are also nut-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
- Gluten Free Palace – Founded in Seattle, WA in 2009, Gluten Free Palace has grown rapidly, opening their new headquarters in Brooklyn, NY in 2012. They launched their new website in 2017 which offers one of the largest online collections of gluten free food products in every category under the sun.
- Amazon Prime – Within the past several years, Amazon has been building their online grocery service which offers free one-day shipping on orders over $35. The website is easy to navigate and enables you to narrow your search results by specialty such as gluten free, vegan, or organic.
Modern technology has made it easier than ever to find the gluten free food products you want. Whether you’re using a brand’s store locator or shopping for gluten free products from an online grocery, you never have to go without your favorites.
Check out Schär’s online shop to get started!