Afternoon tea is never complete without a traditional Victoria Sandwich cake. Why not decorate with buttercream and seasonal berries to give it the wow factor.
|325 g||Mix it! Universal|
|4 tsp||baking powder|
|220 g||butter at room temperature|
|220 g||caster sugar|
|4 large||eggs, beaten|
|1 1/2 tsp||vanilla extract|
|For the filling:|
|4 tbsp||strawberry jam|
|400 g||icing sugar|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
|150 g||butter at room temperature|
|For the decoration:|
|to taste||fresh berries|
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat well for 1 – 2 minutes using an electric mixer until the mixture is light and pale.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk a further 2 minutes.
Place into two round 20cm cake tins that have been greased and base lined.
- Bake in oven 170°/150°C Fan/Gas Mark 3 oven for 30 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Leave in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Place the butter and half of the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract and whisk for a further 2 minutes until smooth.
- Sandwich together the sponge with a layer of jam and buttercream.
- To decorate the top, pipe with buttercream and top with fresh fruit for an extra pop of colour