A layered caked topped with our favourite Schär Pretzels.
|For the sponge cake:|
|400 g (very soft)||butter at room temperature|
|400 g||caster sugar|
|400 g||Mix it! Universal|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking powder|
|1/2 tsp||xanthan gum|
|200 g||white chocolate, melted|
|200 g (70%)||dark chocolate, melted|
|For the dark chocolate ganache:|
|200 g (70%)||dark chocolate|
|100 g||double cream|
|For the white chocolate ganache:|
|250 g||white chocolate|
|250 g||double cream|
|For the decoration:|
|100 g||white chocolate, melted|
|100 g (70%)||dark chocolate, melted|
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C (no fan) 160°C (fan assisted)
- Line and grease two 8 inch cake tins
- Weigh out all ingredients and have them ready to add.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter for 30 seconds to soften further.
- Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, eggs and milk to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Scrape the sides down during the mixing to ensure everything is fully incorporated, don’t worry if the batter looks as if it’s on the verge of spitting.
- Divide the batter equally between two bowls.
- Add the melted cark chocolate to one bowl and melted white chocolate to the other bowl and mix both bowls thoroughly until smooth and silky.
- Transfer the batter into the two lined and greased 8 inch cake tins.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 40mins
- To see if the cake is cooked, insert a skewer and if it comes out clean it is ready, there should also be a spring to the texture when pressed gently.
- While the cakes bake, make the ganache.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place white in one heatproof bowl and dark in a second heatproof bowl.
- Bring the cream to a medium simmer, just before boiling point and pour over the chocolate and let it melt for a minute or two.
- Give it a quick mix together so that it becomes smooth and shiny.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled you can beat the ganache with electric mixer until you notice the colour change to a lighter shade and become fluffy, now keep at room temperature until required.
- Get a cooling rack with a layer of greaseproof paper on top.
- Melt the white and dark chocolate separately for the pretzels, in a heatproof bowl over simmering water.
- Mix one bag of pretzels into the melted white chocolate and one bag of pretzels into the melted dark chocolate.
- Mix until all pretzels are completely coated. Life out and place on greaseproof sheet to dry.
- When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- To assemble the cakes, firstly cut both cakes in half horizontally, be gentle with your slicing technique.
- One you have your 4 halves get your ganache at the ready.
- On the bottom layer of your dark chocolate sponge liberally apply white chocolate ganache, top this with a white chocolate cake and top with white chocolate ganache again, repeat this process until you have four layers of cake with three layers of white chocolate ganache between them.
- Use your dark chocolate ganache to cat all of the outside of the cake using a palate knife or spatula to smooth the ganache out.
- Decorate the cake with your chocolate covered pretzels.