Italian Style Flatbread
This is a must to be served alongside pasta dishes or on it’s own as a starter with olive oil and balsamic. The combination of the onions, peppers and oregano in the bread compliment many dishes.
|375 g||Mix it! Universal|
|1 1/2 tsp||dried yeast|
|1 tbsp||skimmed milk powder|
|1 tbsp (mild)||olive oil|
|350 ml||tepid water|
|For the filling:|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|1 medium||red onion|
|1/2||red bell pepper|
|yellow bell pepper|
|green bell pepper|
|8||green olives, chopped or sliced|
|4 stalks||oregano leaves|
- Lightly fry the peeled and sliced red onion and peppers in a frying pan to soften.
- Combine the Mix It, yeast, salt and skimmed milk powder together in a bowl. Add the oil and tepid water (1/3 boiling, 2/3rds cold) and stir to make a smooth, stiff batter.
- Place half the bread batter into the tin and layer on the red onion and peppers and sprinkle over half the oregano. Spoon over the remaining bread batter and top with the remaining filling ingredients. Cover with oiled cling film.
- Leave to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes or until mixture has risen by half. Remove film, drizzle with a little more olive oil and bake in a preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Serve warm in wedges. Once cool store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days. Warm before eating for best results.
Use 1 small roasting tin or a square 20cm tin, greased, baking parchment can be used if desired