Thanks to the variety of products made from gluten-free grains which are available today and the many foods that are naturally gluten-free, coeliac sufferers can enjoy a balanced diet.
A strictly gluten-free diet that is also balanced will completely meet your needs in terms of nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Coeliac sufferers should also follow the 10 rules of the German Society for Nutrition (DGE):
- eat a varied diet
- plenty of products from gluten-free grains (bread, pasta, cereal) or naturally gluten-free foods such as rice, corn, quinoa, amaranth, millet and potatoes
- vegetables and fruit, five times per day
- milk or milk products on a daily basis, fish once or twice a week, meat two or three times a week and no more than three eggs per week (including eggs in cake etc.) — always choose the low-fat options
- a small amount of fat or fatty foods (60–80 g of fat per day) — choose vegetable-based fats (olive oil, rapeseed oil, pumpkin seed oil, sunflower oil) over other types of fat
- sugar and salt (iodised salt with fluoride) in moderation
- plenty of fluids (1–2 litres per day), water, unsweetened herbal teas, diluted juices
- cook the food gently to preserve the nutrients and flavours (steam instead of boil, grill instead of fry, use layered pans)
- take the time to enjoy your food
- keep an eye on your weight and stay active.