South Tyrolean Apple Strudel
South Tyrol is famous for its apple strudel, which is known around the world for its deliciously sweet taste… why not give this gluten free version a go?
|For the dough:|
|575 g||Mix C - Mix Pâtisserie|
|30 g||butter at room temperature|
|For the filling:|
|30 g||minced dried fruit|
|1,5 g||cinnamon powder|
|15 g||pine nuts|
|For the egg mixture:|
|1 pinch/es of||salt|
Enough for 2 large strudel pieces (about 55 cm) or 4 smaller strudel pieces (about 25 - 30 cm)
For the egg mixture:
- Mix the egg and milk with a pinch of salt until you have a smooth mixture.
For the dough:
- Heat the oven to 200°C (convection / fan-assisted) or 210°C (top/bottom heat)
- Place the liquid ingredients in a kneading machine first and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Knead the dough slowly until all the ingredients are mixed. Continue to knead until you have a uniform dough. Tip: knead the dough for as short a time as possible.
- For four small strudels weigh 4 pieces of dough at 260g each and shape them into balls (if you need less, you can freeze the remaining dough pieces). Tip: always cover the dough so it does not dry out.
For the filling:
- Peel the apple, remove the core, cut it into eighths and then into thin slices. Mix with the remaining ingredients and set aside.
- Roll the dough balls into a stick around 20cm long. Then roll into a sheet of 40 x 25 cm. The dough should not be thicker than 1 mm.
- Brush the edges of the dough with the egg mixture and spread the filling evenly across the sheet. Make sure that a 2 cm strip remains around the edge.
- Fold in the sides and roll the strudel using the baking paper. Ensure that the dough does not stick to the baking paper.
- Place the strudel on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush all over with the egg mixture.
- Bake in a heated oven for around 30 mins.
- After baking, sprinkle with icing sugar.
The strudel dough is perfect for freezing. Halve the dough according to the planned size (2 large) or quarters (4 small) and wrap in cling film. Freeze and process within 3 to 4 weeks. After freezing, allow to thaw completely at room temperature.