This variety of pasta is traditionally eaten in Apulia with turnip tops or with a tomato sauce. What will be your favourite condiment?
|6 (M)||egg whites|
- Place the flour, egg white and salt in a bowl and carefully work for ten minutes with your hands to form a dough. Allow the dough to stand for 15 minutes.
- If the dough appears too dry, add a spoonful of water.
- Knead the dough again until it forms a smooth, firm consistency.
- Cut the dough into four so you can work with it a quarter at a time.
- Roll out the first piece into a long sausage shape and cut into small nugget size pieces. Flatten each nugget with your thumb rolling it out slightly on the work surface so that they form the typical ear-shape.
- Rest the orecchiette on some flour until they are thoroughly dry.
- Simmer in plenty of salted water for 10 minutes, drain and serve as desired.