Luxury Chocolate Cake
Impress people with this spectacular chocolate cake. A delicious, rich cake people won't even know is gluten free!
|For the sponge cake:|
|400 g||Mix it! Universal|
|90 g||cocoa powder|
|6 tsp (gf)||baking powder|
|300 g||butter at room temperature|
|330 g||caster sugar|
|6 large||eggs, beaten|
|4 1/2 tbsp||milk|
|2 1/2 tsp||vanilla extract|
|For the filling:|
|500 g||butter at room temperature|
|1,2 kg||icing sugar|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
|150 g||dark chocolate|
|75 g||cocoa powder|
|For the decoration:|
|1 package||Chocolate O's|
|choice of Schär biscuits|
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°/150°C Fan/Gas Mark 3.
- Place the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat well for 1-2 minutes using an electric mixer, until the mixture is light and pale.
- Add the remaining sponge ingredients and mix for a further 2 minutes.
- Place into two round 20cm cake tins that have been greased and base-lined with baking parchment
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Leave in the tins until the sponge has cooled before turning out onto a cooling rack.
To make the buttercream and decorate:
- Beat together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla extract and milk until soft. Place 2 generous tablespoons of mixture in one bowl and 4 into another (the smaller amount for the cake topping and the rest for the cake filling).
- Crumble 4 Chocolate O’s into the buttercream to make the filling. Spread evenly between the sponge layers.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of hot water or carefully melt in a microwave.
- Pour the chocolate into the remaining buttercream and mix well. Add more milk if necessary to achieve a soft consistency. Spread this over the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with your choice of Schar biscuits.
- 16-17 Chocolate O’s are required to decorate the base of the cake.