Lactose Free Easter Dove Cakes
Celebrate Easter the Italian way with these classic delicacies – Sonia Peronaci wanted to try her hand at gluten- and lactose free Easter Dove Cakes: suitable for those who suffer from food intolerances and celiac disease. Delicious!
|For the dough:|
|100 g||Mix C - Mix Pâtisserie|
|180 g||Mix it! Universal|
|12 g||brewers' yeast|
|110 ml||rice milk|
|30 g||caster sugar|
|60 ml||sunflower seed oil|
|grated zest of an unwaxed orange|
|grated zest of an unwaxed lemon|
|50 g||candied orange peel|
|50 g||candied citron|
|For the glaze / icing:|
|30 g||egg whites|
|15 g||whole peeled almonds|
|60 g||caster sugar|
|5 g||corn flour|
|5 g||potato starch|
|20 g||pearl sugar|
Dough making and rising
- In a stand mixer with a hook attachment, mix in the two flours, the crumbled brewer's yeast and the granulated sugar.
- Add the oil, the eggs (bring to room temperature first), the salt and the seeds scraped from the vanilla bean.
- Heat the milk to 40°C, then pour it slowly into the mixture with the mixer still running.
- Without stopping the mixer, add the grated zest of the well-washed, untreated lemon and orange.
- Lastly, add the candied fruit chopped into small pieces.
- Wait until the dough sticks to and wraps around the hook, then move it to a lightly floured work surface and knead it until it forms a smooth ball.
- Place the dough in a bowl and put it in the over with the light on, with a small bowl of boiling water next to it. Leave to rise for four hours.
Making the doves
- When the dough has risen, divide it into precise portions: 4 pieces weighing 80g each and 4 pieces weighing 100g each.
- Each dove is made from two sausage-shaped pieces of dough.
- Place a 100g piece of dough lengthwise in a mould to form the head and tail, and place an 80g piece across it for the two wings.
For the topping
- Beat the egg whites with a fork together with the corn flour, sugar and potato starch until smooth.
- Spread each dove with the topping.
- Cover them with coarsely chopped hazelnuts, whole almonds and the sugar sprinkles.
- Cook the doves for 20 minutes in a static oven preheated to 175°F.
- Your gluten- and lactose-free doves are ready!