German Bread and Butter Pudding
This German bread and butter pudding, which is known as “Scheiterhaufen” in Austria, is a simple, but tasty dish that can be served sweet or savory.
|450 g||Pane casereccio ai semi / Pain campagnard aux graines / Landbrot Mehrkorn|
|1 pinch/es of||salt|
- Soak the raisins in rum or apple juice for several hours.
- Heat the oven to 170°C. Whisk the eggs, cream, salt, milk, sugar and vanilla pulp.
- Peel the apple, remove the core, cut it into quarters and then into thin slices.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the slices of apple.
- Grease an oven dish well. Take half the loaf of the bread and use it to line the oven dish.
- Arrange half the apple slices and the soaked raisins evenly over the bread.
- Add a little of the egg/milk mixture.
- Arrange the rest of the bread and the rest of the apple slices and raisins in layers.
- Pour the remaining egg/milk mixture over the bread.
- Set aside for 15 minutes until the bread has soaked up the mixture.
- Arrange some flaked almonds and a few dots of butter evenly across the top.
- Bake for around 45 minutes. Leave to cool and serve slightly warm!