Cannoli siciliani (Sicilian filled pastry rolls)
This sweet treat has been a Sicilian secret for hundreds of years, and with good reason. Cannoli is a deep fried dough filled with a rich ricotta cream, and is sure to bring a spot of Sicilian sunshine to your dinner table.
|For the dough:|
|300 g||Mix C - Mix Pâtisserie|
|a little bit of||vanilla sugar|
|1 pinch/es of||salt|
|For the filling:|
|500 g||ricotta cheese|
|100 g||chocolate curls|
|100 g||candied fruit|
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (top and bottom heat setting) and line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper.
- Knead all the ingredients until you’ve got a consistent dough. Then wrap the dough in clingfilm and rest for approx. 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is thin. Cut out squares approx. 10cmx10cm and roll around a greased cannoli mould (available in specialist stores).
- Brush the dough with egg wash when turning it on the mould, so that it retains its shape better.
- Fry in plenty of olive oil (or peanut oil).
- For the filling: Stir the ingredients together. Place the mixture in an icing bag to fill the cannoli. Dust with icing sugar.