Béchamel sauce (White Sauce)
A simple recipe for making the classic Béchamel.
|1 pinch/es of||salt|
- In small bowl, blend together Schär's gluten free and lactosefree flourmix "Farina" and sufficient milk to give smooth paste.
- Place remaining milk and butter in pan and bring to boil, gradually stir in blended gluten free flour and heat through.
- Reduce heat & simmer for 2 minutes, add flavourings to taste (suggestions below).
- Extra milk may be added to achieve thinner consistency. Serve immediately.
- Sweet variations: Add 2 x 5ml (2tsp) caster sugar and a few drops of vanilla essence.
- Savoury Variations: Add grated cheese to taste or freshly chopped herbs i.e. parsley or chives.
- Other variations: For a brandy or rum sauce add 2 x 15mlsp (2tbsp) brandy or rum.