What must I pay attention to in the kitchen?
Preparing gluten-free dishes in a safe way
- Only use ingredients that are definitely gluten-free. The list of food items provided by the coeliac disease associations can help you.
- Do not touch food with floury hands or uncleaned kitchen equipment (bowls, wooden spoons, sieves, pans…) which have come into contact with food containing gluten
- Only put food on clean surfaces – such as the working surfaces, baking tray, bakeware or the BBQ). Important: Only begin cooking after cleaning.
- Do not use oil previously used for frying breaded dishes containing gluten
- Do not use water previously used for cooking pasta containing gluten
- For surfaces which may have been contaminated use baking paper or aluminium foil as a base.
It is not necessary to have separate crockery, cutlery, pans or frying pans or even a separate kitchen. A separate toaster, bread basket and a separate storage corner in the kitchen are enough. The dishwasher or thorough cleansing of the surfaces does the rest.